When individuals think of starting a business, investing into a franchise is the most preferred option. But the biggest hurdle lies in the multiple choices available across different industries to choose from. This could be a make it or break it situation, and one needs to be mindful in making the choice. Considering a few options might make the process streamlined. While being one’ own boss the decisions need to be carefully thought, and executed with dedication, passion, and set of required skills.
It is extremely important to be transparent about the goals, which will lead to paving the way ahead. Individuals may vary with their vision and expectations. For example, if you want to devote all your time to this business or be partly involved. Is making money your priority or spending more time with family. By addressing such questions, one is clear about the core personal priorities, this then helps in decision making.
2. Focus on Strengths
Everyone has something unique to their personality and some set of acquired skills. While considering investment option, one must self-evaluate their strengths and devise a strategy to build on them. This also helps you invest into a format which is best suited to your capabilities and reduces the chances of confusion and stagnancy.
3. Your Role in the Franchise
Investing isn’t the only aspect one needs to ponder upon. It is also important to comprehend the role that one wishes to play in their business. There are two approaches to this. One may be to be the absentee owner and hire staff to manage while devoting time to personal and other pursuits. The other approach requires a full-time commitment that also provides with excellent management and ownership skills.
4. Investment Budget
Every franchise option has different requirements and hence can lead to various figures. Some industries like food or fitness may need more investment as a setup along with staff to manage is required. Businesses which are based out of home or business to business models require slightly meagre investment in comparison to the outlet based. A check and then decision on finances will enable the seamless choice and flow of investment options.
Once there is a clearer perspective on which recourse to opt for, then it is most important to contemplate on certain elements about the two franchises that you are confused about. The best way head to this is to Research, Compare and Conclude. Research plays a principle role in the decision-making process of owing franchise. Here are some use full tips of while researching about shortlisted franchises by you:
- Does the brand in add new franchisees every year?
- Have they any franchises and how many?
- On average, how long does it take to become a profitable franchisee in the shortlisted franchise opportunity?
- What methods are used for procuring the franchise?
- What type of technology does each franchisor provide?
- How content are the franchisees? If not why?
- What does the competitive landscape look like?
- According to the demographics in your area, is either franchise a good opportunity?
Once the research gives us an idea of self-analysis, it is advisable to do a comparative analysis between the two firms, in order to gather inferences, based on which effective deductions can be made. While comparing the two investment opportunities, these points should be borne in mind.
- What is the amount of upfront investment?
- What is the time required to break-even?
- What will your role as the owner be?
- What is the amount of time you need to devote?
- How many employees will you required?
- How will you be able to enhance the business?
- How many years is the franchise agreement?
- Will you be able to find an apt location, relatively fast?
- What is the feedback from franchisees about franchisor support?
- Are the businesses affected by the seasons?
Conclusion: In summation, it can be said there are variety of factors which impact the decision-making process for anyone who is looking for a good investment opportunity. A clear mindset, a dedicated approach and through research can facilitate better decision making. The above stated aspects can surely assist an individual looking for franchise but there are also some principle areas that merit attention. It is integral to research about the franchise, talk to them about your goals, expectations and also to thoroughly go through their Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD). Their financial status, revenue model, litigation past etc play key factor in how your investment idea could be a boon or a bane.